Too hot this summer? Need something fresh to cool you down? We recommend making a refreshing sorbet with Starfruit, also known as Carambola.
The Carambola or Star Fruit, named for its star shape, is a yellow, tropical fruit with an eye-catching appearance and a citrus-like flavor. Discover its origin and other properties on our website here.
We found this great recipe on Melinda Strauss’ website called Kitchen Tested and found it very interesting for those who like to tinker around in the kitchen and try new things.
Ingredients for the sorbet (2-3 servings)
- 4 – 5 starfruit
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 large cup of milk
- ½ tablespoon of grated orange peel
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Cut the starfruit into large pieces and mix in a blender. Strain the liquid (and crush with a spoon) to take advantage of as much of the juice as possible.
- Add the sugar, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
- Then add the milk and stir until everything is mixed well.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After an hour, scoop the mixture into an ice-cream maker for 5-10 minutes (depending on the manufacturer and power of the machine). If you do not have an ice cream maker then leave the mixture in the freezer and mix it every 15 minutes until it reaches the right texture.
And now you have an original and refreshing sorbet! The only thing left to do is to serve it in a bowl with a slice of starfruit on the rim.