How to Make the Perfect Niçoise Salad ~ this healthy main course tuna salad is one of the best ever invented… it’s colorful, protein packed, and so satisfying.
The French just have a flair for putting together simple but powerful flavors.
Nicoise Salad is an example of a composed salad. That just means the ingredients are artfully arranged instead of tossed.
French Bean Salad is our shortcut, budget-friendly take on the classic salad Niçoise, a salad that originated in Nice but is wildly popular throughout France. Salad Niçoise is composed of tomatoes, tuna, anchovies, olives, and hard boiled eggs. Lettuce is optional (but common), as are other mix-ins such as rice, green beans, or potatoes.
The French Bean Salad
An easy, version of classic salad Niçoise with tomatoes, green beans, eggs, and white beans.
YIELD: 2 generous servings
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
FOR THE SALAD
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 ounces green beans ( French Beans) , ends trimmed
- 4 ounces mixed greens
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- 1 small cucumber, seeded, and diced
- 1/3 cup small black olives or halved large olives, pitted
- 7 ounces white beans, such as cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf or curly parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Chunk Light Canned Tuna
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice if you like.
- Put the lettuce in a wide shallow salad bowl or platter and arrange the tarragon leaves over the lettuce.
- Toss the beans with a little of the dressing, and some of the fresh dill. Pile the beans into a heap on the edge of the salad, leaving the center free for the tuna.
- Arrange the cucumber slices and carrots in little piles next to the beans.
- Toss the potatoes with a little of the dressing and dill, and add them to the salad. Arrange the tomatoes, radishes, green beans, eggs, peppers, and olives in a similar manner all around the edge of the platter.
- Put the tuna in the center of the salad and top with the capers. Scatter the fresh dill over all.
- Drizzle with the dressing just before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Serve immediately. Should be served slightly warm or at room temperature.