First of all , Happy New Year!!!
How’s your 2018 turning out so far?
This year we’ve got some big changes coming up on Terra Fresh’s Fresh Blog.
Every week, we want to share with you some delicious recipes of different delicious produce we have on season every month.
This week we are talking about Radicchio. Have you ever tried it?
Radicchio is grown as a leaf vegetable which usually has white-veined red leaves. It has a bitter and spicy taste, which mellows when it is grilled or roasted. Although radicchio resembles red lettuce or cabbage, its bitter-tasting wine-red leaves sets this vegetable apart from other leafy vegetables.
The health benefits you can get from radicchio are seemingly endless. For starters, this vegetable provides important vitamins, such as:
- B vitamins B1 (thiamin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine) and B9 (folic acid): These help replenish the body and metabolize fat, protein and carbohydrates.
- Vitamin K: This boosts the body’s osteotrophic activity (linked with bone formation and strengthening), improves bone health and limits neuronal damage to the brain when vitamin K levels are well-maintained.
- Vitamin C: Radicchio is abundant in vitamin C that’s known for:
|Improving immune system health||Promoting healing of body cells||Assisting in body detoxification|
|Building up the body’s collagen supply||Supporting development of good gut bacteria||Preventing hardening of the arteries|
|Neutralizing environmental toxins||Fighting diseases||Helping decrease the body’s cholesterol levels|
If you’re looking for more ways to use produce this January, check out our blog now and every week for new updates! Join us in eating seasonally by sharing your pictures of your recipes on social media by tagging #seasonalrecipes with #terrafreshfoods
Now, Let’s talk about this Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad with Wild Rice and Tangerines. We found this delicious recipe on www.floatingkitchen.net/
This is the kind of salad we want to eat every day. Forever and ever. All the colors of the rainbow and a variety of tastes and textures; it’s a salad that doesn’t feel like a salad. So whether you’re trying to stick to your New Year’s resolution or you just like beautiful, delicious, and nourishing food, this recipe is for you. Enjoy!
- For the Salad
- 1 lb golden beets (medium sized), peeled and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 head radicchio, chopped
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tangerines, peeled and segmented
- Thinly shaved pecorino cheese
- For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed tangerine juice
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced shallots
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil and fold it in half to double it. Add the beets to the aluminum foil, then drizzle them with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and black pepper. Fold up the edges of the aluminum foil to create a packet for the beets, then place this packet directly on the oven rack in your pre-heated oven. Roast the beets until they can be easily pierced with a small paring knife, about 50-60 minutes. Carefully remove the packet from your oven and let the beets cool slightly. Slice the cooled beets into wedges. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- Toss about half of the chopped radicchio with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Spread this out onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast in your pre-heated oven for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining radicchio, wild rice, parsley, almonds and tangerines to a large bowl. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and toss gently to combine. Then fold in the roasted radicchio and beets.
- Divide the salad between plates/bowls. Top with some shaved pecorino cheese. Serve immediately.
Thank you, www.floatingkitchen.net/